On this project, you will get your hands dirty with light construction and renovation assignments. Our main construction focus is working at the local school, which has been allocated as an education resource for rural children, temples, churches, and other local or community infrastructures in which most historic activities are being held.
However, you don’t need special qualifications or even to have experience in construction efforts, but do consider this job requires physical strength and endurance in hot weather conditions, however, activities focus only on light constructions. In addition, your work will depend upon the needs of the school, community or recipients at that particular point in time or you can look forward to working out in the local community, if construction and renovation jobs arise.
Correspondingly, you will be asked to participate in various types of renovation options, such as painting and renovating school and temple walls, school library and other school facilities, repairing furniture such as chairs and tables, gardening and landscaping, digging and assembling construction materials and improving the roads to local schools, kindergartens, and community centers, which will be available upon your arrival.
Additionally, you will assist the team in rebuilding and renovating the bathrooms in local schools and kindergartens in order to improve hygiene. What is more fulfilling is that you may help and assist the locals in building, renovating and repairing their houses as some of them do not have sufficient funds to build their houses.
In doing so, you will directly benefit the community by providing a pleasant, healthy and conducive learning environment for the children, safe spaces and most importantly, helping the community improve their facilities and making a comfortable home for every local that will surely improve their quality of life.
Moreover, during the construction activities, please be careful and mindful when using construction equipment and material, ask assistance from your local coordinators for heavy tasks and of course to enjoy and make the most of your stay and make memorable learning experiences.
Finally, working with locals to achieve a common goal is enjoyable, and you will learn a lot about Laotians and their dedication to keeping the community and the environment clean, with your help of course!
There is no +Learning add-on available for this program.
Aims & Objectives
- Improve the facilities of a local Laotian community.
- Develop your teamwork skills through practical work.
- Assist the locals with construction and renovation efforts in an organized team.
- Create cultural exchange opportunities through our efforts with the locals.
- Gain practical experience in light renovation work.
- Introduction Meeting, House rules, Setting Expectations, Health and Safety Advice, handling of documents & Signing up of relevant documents.
- Lao Do’s and Don’ts, Dress Codes, Culture Lessons and Basic Lao Language Lessons.
- Tour around the compound and local area; where to find local shops, and arrange a sim-card if necessary.
- Project Meeting and Visit Project Placement with Local Program Coordinators.
- Night Market
Tuesday to Friday
- Working at the placement
- Working at the placement
***This schedule can be changed and/or amended depending on weather conditions, local conditions and unforeseen circumstances.***
This program starts every week.
This program starts every week.
Participant Criteria & Requirements
Minimum age: 18
Maximum age: –
Minimum English level: Basic
CRB required: On Signup
Passport copy required: On Signup
Resume copy required: On Signup
Required qualification: None
The following are further necessary in order for both the participants, local staff and everyones involved to have a meaningful, enjoyable and safe community program.
- Have a genuine interest in construction efforts and helping the community to have better and safe spaces.
- You don’t need special qualifications or even to have experience in Constructions but do consider this job requires physical strength and endurance in hot weather conditions .
- Older participants or over 65 years are required to have a medical clearance as proof of their physical fitness as they may perform various activities.
- Participants below 18 years old need a signed parental consent as proof of involvement of their children for the program. If possible, accompaniment by an adult is highly advised.
- High level of efficiency, accuracy and responsibility and can work under pressure and is a team player.
- Excellent time management and self – organizing and a strong desire to take on new challenges and learn as much as possible.
- Though pre – flight PCR test and proof of vaccination are no longer required to travel to Laos, however, be aware that if you have a connecting flight from your country to Laos, you will need to meet the requirement of the connecting airport, which may still require pre – flight PCR test and proof of vaccination. Thus, it is recommended that you may have a COVID – 19 Vaccination.
- You are advised to purchase travel, medical and Covid – 19 insurance prior to your arrival.
- Have completed or recommended the following vaccines: Polio, Hepatitis A, Diphtheria/Tetanus, Typhoid, Malaria, Hepatitis B, Tuberculosis.
- Additionally, Laos is a Conservative Country, thus, brings comfortable and appropriate working clothes (preferably modest clothing covering knees and shoulders for women and tshirts, trousers and shoes for men) and must follow the dress code policy.
- Comfortable working clothes that you don’t mind getting dirty.
- Bring Personal toiletries such as basic soap, shampoo, toothpaste and towels.
- Bring also hat, sunglasses to protect from the heat of the sun particularly during the construction activities.
- Please also bring work gloves, sturdy shoes or boots as you may do some heavy construction tasks.
- An environmentally friendly sunscreen or lotion is also advised to protect you from the heat of the sun and please carry with you preventive agents during outdoor activities, such as mosquito repellents for insect bites or other insects that may irritate your skin.
- Moreover, bring Medicines with you especially if you have to take specific medicines on a regular basis as well as other medicines for headaches and stomach aches.
- Refillable water bottles and hydration packs to stay hydrated throughout the day particularly during construction activities.