J-1 Intern Visa 2017
J1 Work Travel for Ireland visas are sold out. A new 2018 allocation of these visas will be available for application in November 2017.
Do you wish to do internship in the USA?
The J-1 Intern Visa 2017 program is open to students who are currently enrolled in and actively pursuing a degree from an accredited post-secondary institution or students that graduated no more than 12 months prior to intended arrival in the US
Students are eligible to enage in a paid internship, in their field of study, for one year. Students must have their internship pre-arranged in advance of visa issuance.
Please ensure you have read to J1 Intern information pack before proceeding. Click on image for download link.
In order to complete online application form (link at bottom of page), please have documents listed below ready for upload to complete form:
- The Rules & Regulations form (download) must be signed, initialed where appropriate and dated – PDF (1 document, multiple pages).
- Proof of College Attendance Form (download) – Stamped and signed PDF.
- Training and Internship Placement Plan or T/IPP or DS-7002: has to be created and signed by yourself, your Internship supervisor, and ourselves, in advance of visa paperwork being issued. To create a DS-7002 document we need you to complete the TIPP Preparation Questionnaire J1 Intern (download) document. This document provides biographical information about the Internship position and Internship Site. It also outlines the content of the Internship program and the different phases associated with it. (Format: Word)
- We also need a copy of Intern provider’s Workman’s Compensation Document (Format: pdf) and a company brochure, if they have one (Format: pdf).
- Resume/CV – PDF document.
- References the name, address, phone number and relationship of two responsible adults – one personal and one professional – PDF document.
- Biographic page of passport which must be valid for the period of the visa (Format: JPEG – this is a photo file)
- Bank Statement showing you have minimum $1500 available to you (Format: PDF)
J1 Ireland’s Partner The Ireland Institute of Pittsburgh issues J-1 IWT paperwork in the following categories:
- Arts and Culture
- Education, Social Sciences, Library Sciences, Counseling and Social Services
- Hospitality & Tourism
- Management, Business, Commerce and Finance
- The Sciences, Engineering, Architecture, Mathematics and Industrial Occupations
DS-2019 Issuance: Once we have approved your application, we will issue the DS-2019…this is the document you will take with you to the US Consulate/US Embassy in Northern Ireland or Dublin, etc. Once it is issued – you will be emailed with two sets of codes that can be then used to book your interview with the embassy/consulate. You don’t need to have the physical paperwork in hand to book the interview – but you must have it in hand to go to interview. So when booking you should schedule longer than one week. I’ll mail you the DS-2019 – it will take about a week to get there. If you want it by Fedex – we will pass this charge onto you.
Payment: Payment is expected upon issuance of DS-2019. You can make payment of $1150 through Ireland Institute of Pittsburgh website www.iiofpitt.org. We will send you full info on how to do this once we issue paperwork. This payment includes the sum of $180 (Sevis fee) payable to the US State Department.
Booking the Embassy/Consulate Interview:. In order to get your interview – you must review steps on the US Embassy/Consulate’s webpage a link for which we will forward to you at the relevant time. You must complete a Form I-160 before your visa interview. It is within this process that you will pay the $161 to the Consulate
Once you’ve had your interview – the embassy/consulate will hold onto your passport for 48-72 hours, then alert you as to how to collect. After you have successfully received your passport, you will purchase your flight and health insurance.
Health Insurance Prior to arrival you must show us evidence that you have health insurance to cover you for the entire length of your stay – minimum requirements are outlined in the Information Pack document (attached). Do not buy this until you have your passport back successfully from the embassy/consulate! (Format: PDF)
Flight information (Format: Email): Should be fwded once booked. ONLY BOOK IT AFTER YOU RECEIVE YOUR PASSPORT BACK SUCCESSFULLY (email will be fine).
Once you arrive at your in the US, you must contact our office within 1 BUSINESS DAY to check-in, and you will also fwd to us:
- copy of the 1st page of your DS-2019 (pdf)
- visa sticker page of your passport (pdf)
- page with immigration arrival stamp (pdf)
- We will also need to know your address and cell phone details